Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fairness of Life

As many of you know, Josh Buck had a terrible swimming accident and lies now in the ICU in a Miami hospital. He is fighting to regain feeling in his upper and lower body, and if you do not know him, here is a quick run down. He is a fun, talented, and passionate man of God with a great family. Josh is a Wesleyan church planter in Grand Rapids, Michigan and gifted worship leader and networker. Tragically, around one and half years ago or so, he and his wife lost their infant child to a freak accident in her crib and now Josh may or may not walk again. Thus, this scenario is prompting this writing...Is Life really fair?
I have been struggling with this question a lot lately. How is it that a man like Josh has had so much bad happen to him lately. Granted, I am a pastor and know a lot of the answers that I should know, but I cannot help but wonder now. Why does so much bad happen to such a great guy that is serving God with all he has in him? And an even deeper question that I have is why is it that I make those conclusions in my mind? Why do I think that just because you are good, then only good things will happen to you? I know I need to rethink my logic.
Bad things happen to bad and good people. But for some reason, my head tells me it should not be that way. If you are bad, then bad should happen to you. If you are good, then good should follow close behind. But, I suppose if you look at Christ, he was perfect and was ultimately crucified for it. So, maybe it is just that I think subconsciously followers of Christ should avoid suffering and even not have to go through it, but if anything, the New Testament seems to guarantee the opposite.
So I know i have touched on a few different issues, but these are my random thoughts after a week of praying and pulling for a friend, spiritual brother, and fellow ecclesiastical professional who may not walk again. Keep praying for Josh and check out his progress at www.greenhouseministries.org

3 comments:

Stephen and Michelle said...

Brian-
These are a lot of great questions, and like you, I have been doing a lot of thinking - with Shelly and I growing up in the same church, Titus being only a month younger than Ava...I can't help but put myself in their shoes...what if that was US in their situation???

I guess I have come to the realization that life happens no matter whether you are "good" or "bad" because I have determined that "good" and "bad" are very relative terms - especially when you consider the world view and God's view. God may be watching us and thinking that what happened to Josh is not bad - that He has plans for this that none of us can even imagine. God's message is already being FURTHERED through this! I have realized that it is the hard times that I have gone through that actually bring me closer to God and closer to other people...because it shows me that God is in control, I have to live with my choices and the choices that other people make (God doesn't make someone hurt someone else - they make that choice), and that we have to share each others' burdens - it keeps me human and God, God. But I don't like going through hard times or having to live with my bad choices - because it hurts, and it is painful.

Another thing I have really been struggling with is something that Stephen preached on Sunday...praying "YOUR will be done" instead of my own. I have realized that I can't pray for God to completely heal Josh - even though that is what we all want so terribly. Yes, we can petition for what we would like to see happen, but what if God wants to use Josh in a completely different way now - what if He wants to completely transform his ministry into something greater??? I have really struggled lately asking myself where that puts me and my faith - if God's will is not to heal Josh. I have a hard time knowing that God could make Josh walk out of that hospital today if He chose to heal him - but that God may not choose to heal him the way I want.

Sorry to ramble on for so long...just lots of thoughts right now...I guess I have a lot of faith questions to work out in my own life...
Michelle

Brian B said...

Michelle - loved your comments...I think you hit the nail on the head partially with talking about the avoidance of pain and suffering that we have in our lives...I know that I know very little about suffering in my life...but yet it seems if anyone should know about that and experience it, then Christians are the ones because of Christ...oh well...thanks for making me think more!

Shannon said...

I was just reminded today of Proverbs 3:16, where we're supposed to not lean on our own understanding. And I think this is one of those times. If we're completely trusting in God, then chances are we won't understand. Because we're not God, God is, and we need to let him do his job. If we don't get it, then sometimes, it helps us to rely on him more.