Thursday, June 07, 2007

Post-Labor Lessons Dad Style

Wow! I cannot believe how much I really did not know about being a Dad. Here are some of the things I have learned in my short time of 9 days of Dad-hood.
1. Babies don't always cry right after birth. I wish someone had told me that. I told Shannon, "Look how beautiful she is." Then she retorted back, "Why isn't she crying?" I had to honestly answer, "I don't know." Finally, the doctor was able to get her crying, and she hasn't stopped since! Low and behold, babies don't always cry right away. Sometimes it takes the doctor a while to get the lungs going.
2. Breastfeeding is anything but easy. I just thought as soon as the baby was born, breastfeeding was second nature. However, it is quite the struggle for a few weeks. Only after a few days/week or 2, does it become easier.
3. Take time off. If at all possible, take time off, Dad, from your job for a week or so. This will only help you and your wife deal more appropriately with this unique time of transition in your life. I don't know what I would do right now if I did not have June and July off this summer. I am up late and in the wee hours of the morning trying to help Shannon out with the baby, changing diapers or just comforting my wife. There is no way I could be productive at my work if I were still working full time.
4. Pray Pray Pray. Take this time to truly draw close to God and pray for your spouse and child. It was extremely special for me as Dad to have numerous friends and family members pray for my daughter already. However, it is even more special to pray for your baby yourself, or with your spouse!
All said, I would not trade my daughter for the world. I cannot stop smiling nor can I quit looking at her. She is truly an amazing creation. Thank you God!

10 comments:

Mike Zeller said...

Bradford! Congrats man! She looks adorable! You and Shannon are going to be great parents!

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Congratulations! Your daughter is beautiful. You have only begun to learn my friend :) It is one awesome ride, worth every minute. Parenthood Rocks!! Take Care.

-Dave Hansen

Keetha Broyles said...

Happy Father's Day, Brian!!!!

I'm not sure what its really like to be a dad - - - - but there's NOTHING like having your first child, is there?

:-)

Shannon said...

Hunny- you already are #1 dad. You love Halle so much and are so helpful! I can't imagine not having you so available to help. We are spoiled!! I can't wait to see you continue to love on our little girl!

TKB said...

Enjoy the journey...and congrats!
Travis B.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not sure if you remember me but I am Nicole Trexlers younger sister, Christina. Just wanted to say congrats! I just had a baby girl, Amaya Noel Estes, on the 30th of May. It is a huge adjustment for both my husband and I...but We love her very much! Congrats!

Christina Estes

Anonymous said...

Hey, Brian! It's Esther from Asbury...I was just reading your blog and I meant to email you awhile ago to say congrats on your beautiful daughter!!! It looks like you're doing well--good to hear from you,
Esther

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you today. I've missed both of you so much. Halle is absolutely adorable. I'm so happy for the two of you. Miss you guys!

Nichole Race

Eily Renee & Malakai Andrew Hawk said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful! Welcome to parenthood!

-Michelle Hawk

. said...

Hey, Brian! I just found your blog, so I'm playing catch-up, reading back entries. You said, "Take this time to truly draw close to God and pray for your spouse and child." I agree, but would like to add one thing to your prayer list. Begin to pray, now, for Halle's future husband. (Assuming that she will one day get married.) It is so amazing to be told, "I'm going to marry this person," and be able to respond, "I've been praying for them for years." Ask me for details sometime, if you're interested.